According to Hebrews 11:6, God says without
faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must
believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently
seek Him. When you tithe or give 10% to God, you are truly walking by
faith and not by sight. Most of us normally do not have enough money
to spare. So when we tithe, we are putting God to the "test" as
per Malachi 3:10. We are saying, "Yes, Lord, I believe you are the
God of your Word, and I am giving by faith."
You have to use your faith to please
God. As you step out in faith to give your "tithes and
offerings" as in Malachi 3:8, you are showing God that you believe Him,
and great shall be your reward eventually or in His time.
Be faithful day in and day out, week in and week out, month in and month out, year in and year out, and you will see the "windows of heaven" shower blessings on you and your family that are so great, that there will eventually be an overflowing abundance in your life.
What is tithing?
"Tithe" means 10% or "a tenth part". God's Word tell us that the first 10% of everything we earn or receive belongs to Him. God says in Malachi 3:8, if you do not give your tithes and offerings to Him, you are robbing God! In verse 9, He says that we bring lots of problems on ourselves if we do not tithe. The only way God's work will be done on this earth is if God's people give of their finances. Certainly the world is not going to finance the end time harvest. It is the responsibility of the church or God's people.
What is the difference between the "Tithe" and "Offerings"?
The tithe is to be the first 10% of everything you receive or earn financially. An offering is any amount you would give above the tithe.
Well, I thought tithing was Old Testament Jewish Law that is not for today.
No! According to Galatians 3:17, the Law came 430 years after God instituted the promise and tithing with Abraham. If tithing was under the Jewish law why did Abraham tithe 430 years before the Law was given? According to Genesis 14:20, Abraham tithed to the Priest Melchizedek from the very beginning, or hundreds of years before the law. It says in the New Testament in Hebrews 7:1-10 that they received tithes; but see v.8 where it says He or Jesus still receives tithes now in heaven!
I can't afford to tithe!
If you are a Christian, you can't afford not to tithe! You need God's supernatural help if you are ever going to get out of debt. If you wait for your ship (which you don't want be the Titanic!) to come in before you tithe, you may be waiting a long time. Put your faith into action today by giving Him the first 10% of everything you earn or receive, and watch how He helps you get out of debt. I would also encourage you to teach your children to tithe to God from an early age so they will be blessed all the days of their lives.
REASONS WHY WE SHOULD TITHE
NINE REASONS WHY WE SHOULD TITHE
1. God commands it. In Malachi 3:10, God says, "bring the whole tithe into the storehouse". The storehouse refers to the place where you worship. The tithe is to be given to your home church, the place where you are spiritually fed. When you give to support charities and other ministries, you should be giving out of your offerings. The whole tithe belongs to the local church.
2. Tithing proves God's Word is true. God says if you will put Him to the test (this is the only place where it says to put God to the test or on trial!) in tithes and offerings; eventually you will see great blessings overtake your life, even to the point that you will see God open the "windows of blessing" upon you and your family!
3. God will rebuke the devourer. According to Malachi 3:11, you have an enemy that will steal all your finances, but when you bring God the whole tithe and give offerings as He leads you, God will rebuke the enemy. When you become a follower of Jesus Christ the enemy targets you and your finances. You need God's help if you are going to make it financially in today's world and the tough times. God actually challenges every believer to "put Him to the test" in their giving, and watch what He does in their lives. It is time to put God to the test, and watch God's blessings flow toward you. Do it today!
4. Tithing teaches me to put God first. According to Deuteronomy 14:23, the purpose of tithing is to teach you to always put God first in your life. If God has our finances then we know He has our hearts. If we refuse to tithe we prove that He really isn't first or in first place.
5. Jesus recognized tithing. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus recognized and commended the Pharisees for tithing. Tithing was the only thing they were doing right!
6. Tithing is essential to spiritual growth. God tells us in Luke 16:11, "...if therefore you have not been faithful in the use of money, how can you expect Him to entrust greater spiritual riches to you?" Many Christians do not grow spiritually and remain spiritual babies because they are not faithful to obey God in tithes and offerings. Hebrews 5:12-14
7. Tithing proves you love the Lord. In 2 Corinthians 8:8, God says that your giving tests the sincerity of your love. You say you love the Lord but you prove you love him when you give. As we say, talk is cheap, but actions speak louder than words. l John3:17-18 is saying love in deed not in word.
8. Tithing is an investment for eternity. In Matthew 6:19, Jesus told us to "store up treasure in heaven." When you give your tithes and offerings to the Lord's work you are investing your money in souls for the Kingdom, and helping to get people to heaven as well as building up the brethren.
The Bank of Heaven stores this up along with compounded interest for you as eternal rewards!
9. You cannot "out-give" God. In Galatians 6:7, God says, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked, for whatever a man plants that he will also reap." God is watching, and your mind records everything so whatever you give to Him, He will give back to you with interest. Giving unlocks Heaven's Gates of blessings on your behalf… as the old saying states:You cannot out-give God. The more you give to Him, the more He'll give back to you. See verse 9 "And let us not get tired out while doing good things, because at the right time we will reap if we do not give up and quit." Expanded Greek. Paul says in ll Corinthians 9:5-15, esp. v. 6 that if you "plant or give bountifully you will get back bountifully." If you give little then you get back little. It is a mental and spiritual law! Do it with a "cheerful attitude" (cheerful is the Greek word for hilarious!) as it says in verse 7.